110 passengers trapped for 15 hours on train from Rome to Avezzano.
- Two and a half meters of snow in the hinterland of Urbino.
- Minus 24 degrees in Livigno.
- Snowing again in Bologna, where schools remain closed.
- Snowing in Naples.
- Hundreds trapped overnight in a tunnel in Rome.
- Army called out in Bologna, Venice, L’Aquila and the Marches.
“This is the situation in Italy,” says Italian reader Mirco Poletto. “8 deaths, 160,000 households without electricity in south-central peninsula and broken water pipes due to frost in Genoa. Forecasts indicate that the frost will go on at least for a week. Frost trapped 110 passengers for 15 hours on the train Roma-Avezzano.
According to this article on corriere.it
A woman of 46 years is dead in the province of Avellino crushed after a greenhouse collapsed under the weight of snow. A man of 62 years died crushed by a collapsed barn Saturday afternoon in Frosinone under the weight of snow.
CHAOS – Hundreds trapped overnight in a tunnel in Rome
Hundreds of people spent the night on board buses and cars in a tunnel, stuck outside a tunnel on the motorway A24, not far from the exit of Tagliacozzo (L’Aquila).
Hardships reported across motorway network.
- It snows also on ‘A 14 between Lancaster and Giulianova.
- A heavy snowstorm on the Rolling Highway 1 between San Vittore Caianello … closed during the night because of a falling power line cable station.
- Snow between Rioveggio and Valdichiana.
- On the A 12 is closed north of the barrier Aurelia ice.
- Closed to traffic including the stretch of Tuscan and Bolognese ‘E 45.
- Cold and snow in Sardinia.
- A Macon and Bitti in the early hours of the morning has begun to snow and temperatures are anywhere near zero.
- Most schools closed in Nuoro.
CALLING IN THE ARMY
Due to heavy snowfall many prefectures have requested the intervention of Army personnel and equipment in Bologna, Venice, L’Aquila and the Marches.
Two and a half meters of snow in the hinterland of Urbino, where firefighters have received requests for help for people on dialysis who can not reach the hospital. Isolated fractions, power cuts, supplies of heating oil from nearly depleted, the animals remained stable without food: in the Montefeltro
Snowing in Naples
Snow fell in the hilly areas of Naples, in particular to Camaldoli. Several cars parked on which is formed a white blanket.
FEAR ON THE FERRY
Great fear for the 300 passengers of the ferry Tirrenia “Sharden” departed from Civitavecchia to Olbia. The ship slammed against the dock causing a gap of thirty meters. Passengers and crew were rescued and the ship placed in safety. Many on board feared another tragedy similar to the Costa Concordia.
Thanks to Mirco Poletto for this link