10 July 2019 – The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Tuesday that Lake Erie, Lake Ontario and Lake Superior reached their highest points last month since record-keeping began in 1918.
Water levels in Lake Superior, the largest of the five Great Lakes, set records in both May and June this year.
Also setting a new record was Lake St. Clair, part of the waterway linking Lakes Huron and Erie.
Lake Erie borders Ontario, as well as Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York
Lakes Huron and Michigan missed setting a new monthly record by about 25 mm (just under an inch).
- Lake Ontario – 7,340 square miles.
- Lake Erie – 9,910 square miles. …
- Lake Michigan – 22,404 square miles. …
- Lake Huron – 23,007 square miles.
- Lake Superior – 31,700 square miles.
For comparison, the entire state of Vermont covers 9,615 sq. miles, while South Carolina boasts 32,007 sq. miles.
Thanks to Robert Boon for these links